Home   |   About Bucks   |   Site Map     Twitter Facebook

2019 News

County Opens Refurbished Church Lane Bridge in Haycock/Nockamixon

April 4, 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Larry R. King, 215-348-6413, lrking@buckscounty.org

After an extensive, eight-month rehabilitation project, Bucks County this morning re-opened Bridge No. 209 in Haycock and Nockamixon Townships, which carries Church Lane over Haycock Creek. Church Lane2

The bridge had been closed in August 2018 to allow for the $611,000 repair and upgrade effort. It is one of several bridge projects being funded with the $5 Pennsylvania motor vehicle registration fee ratified by the Bucks County Commissioners three years ago.

The one-lane bridge, built in 1928, is a single-span, reinforced concrete t-beam structure with a bituminous riding surface and stone masonry abutments. It is 45 feet long and 18 feet wide from curb to curb.

The rehabilitation project involved installation of approach guiderails with crash-worthy connections at the four corners of the structure, concrete repairs to the beams and deck, stone masonry repairs and repointing of the abutments and wing walls, and milling and re-paving the bridge and its approaches. Church Lane3

Countermeasures were installed to limit erosion along the abutments, and the concrete parapet walls and outside faces of concrete exterior beams were protectively coated with epoxy. A county bridge plaque commemorating the project was also installed.

Construction work was performed by J.PS. Construction Co, Inc., of Glenside; while engineering and design was done by Gilmore and Associates, Inc., of New Britain.

Bridge No. 209 is one of 114 bridges owned and maintained by Bucks County and its General Services Division.